Fostering Hope is seeking a Treasurer for our volunteer Board. We are looking for someone aligned with our mission and values and can support us in expanding our work.
Our Board is a volunteer board made up of Christians from different denominations. We currently employ three part time staff, an Executive Officer, Northern Coordinator and Mentor Coordinator. The Board meets in person every six weeks for about two hours.
We are seeking a Treasurer with the ability to,
Oversee financial administration of Fostering Hope
- Have a basic understanding of accounting.
- Have a working knowledge of the policy and legislative environment Fostering Hope operates in.
- Keep up-to-date records as well as an audit trail for all transactions.
- Protect the organisation against fraud and theft, ensuring safe custody of money, and prompt banking.
- Make sure the board understands its financial obligations.
- Make sure the organisation complies with tax regulations, such as GST, payroll tax and fringe benefits tax.
- Review all internal processes and reporting methods at least annually.
- Lodge returns with authorities such as the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), the Office of Fair Trading, the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profit Commission (ACNC), and the Australian Tax Office (ATO).
- Work with the outgoing Treasurer and staff to ensure appropriate procedures for expenditure.
- Work with the outgoing Treasurer and staff to ensure appropriate procedures for income generation.
- Work with the outgoing Treasurer and staff to ensure appropriate procedures for ensuring cash and chequebooks are kept securely.
- Track Fostering Hope’s assets, income sources, and outgoing expenses.
- Work with the Board and Executive Officer on risk analysis and tracking.
Financial reporting to the Board and funders
- Prepare and present financial reports for Board Meetings.
- Support staff preparing budgets for funders when required.
Contribute to Strategic Planning
- Contribute to the overall strategy development of Fostering Hope.
- Be an active Board Member in supporting the organisation’s growth and staff.
- Prepare reports for members, staff, and funders outlining the current financial situation, looking at possibilities for the future and drawing people’s attention to tax implications and potential risks or opportunities.
Work with the Board to generate more funds
- Contribute to the fundraising plan and ideas
- Advise on funding opportunities
- Support staff in preparing budgets for grants and sponsorship