We are seeking a Pastor to lead our ‘beloved community’ at Metropolitan Community Church Brisbane (‘MCC Brisbane’). We are a diverse congregation of LGBTIQ+ people and allies who are seeking to grow closer to and deeper with God whilst showing God’s unconditional and radical love to ALL – celebrating God’s gift of sexuality, gender diversity, race, background, individual expression and neurodiversity. https://mccbrisbanechurch.org/get-to-know-us
As the Pastor of small church with an average attendance of 50 people in person and others online, we expect you to grow into this role. Our recruitment process will focus on the right ‘fit’ for our community along with the attributes below.
Our ideal candidate
- has knowledge and understanding of Scripture’s doctrines on God’s acceptance of our ‘rainbow community’
- has well-developed management and leadership skills, including the ability to use discretion and act with integrity
- has a high degree of self-motivation and positive attitude to manage competing priorities with limited time
- applies holistic thinking and considered approaches to meet or address the complex needs of a diverse church community
- is able to build and foster capability in others, as we each have a function in ‘the body’.
The beloved community of MCC Brisbane requires the highest integrity of those serving in ministry. Our Pastor therefore also acts with integrity, makes ethical decisions and embodies the core values of UFMCC.
This role’s areas of responsibility include:
- Teaching and guiding through encounters with scripture
- Reflecting and discerning regarding our church’s culture and direction
- Seeking opportunities to engage the Brisbane LGBTIQ+ community
- Providing pastoral care and oversight to the church community in collaboration with the Board of directors
- Performing various rites of the church (e.g. weddings, unions, baptisms, Communion)
- Developing and releasing our lay leadership to the fullness of their potential
- Seeking healthy self-awareness and self-learning.
- Communication and presentation skills in both large- and small- group formats
- Experience and/or willingness to work in a predominantly LGBTIQ+ church
- Able to garner support from and engagement with gifted people in the church
- Friendly, enthusiastic and positive attitude that can bridge divides
- General IT skills (e.g. Office programs, social media etc)
- Well-read theologically and understanding of people’s denominational backgrounds
Regular engagements include:
- 6pm Sunday service (in New Farm)
- Monthly Board of directors’ meetings
- Evening/adhoc meetings if and when required (e.g. leadership, bible studies)
Terms of appointment:
This is currently a part-time role offered on a three-year basis. In negotiation with you and theBoard of directors we are offering 16 to 24 hours per week. Note: as per our Bylaws, approval of appointment and renewals rest with the authority of the church membership.
- You’ll need to agree to pre-engagement integrity checks to work for MCC Brisbane, (a Police Check and a ‘Blue Card’ Working with Children Check from the Queensland Government).
- You must be eligible to live and work in Australia, at the time of your application. MCC Brisbane is unable to sponsor you.
- Applicants must be eligible for credentialed clergy status in the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches, either by prior ordination or by making suitable arrangements for clergy preparation through the MCC Office of Formation and Leadership Development. For more information go to: https://ofld.mccchurch.org
Please email a cover letter and resume or CV.
When writing your letter, include specific examples of how your skills, knowledge and experience match the role description and our ideal candidate information, (maximum 2 pages in length). If selected for interview, you will need to supply a referee list that includes both professional/ supervisory and personal referees (i.e. friend, colleague, co-worker).
Applications are due by COB Friday 29 July 2022.