Who are we?
Canterbury Gardens Community Church (CGCC) is a vibrant and active church which exists to make Jesus known and to be transformed by His Spirit for God's Glory. As a church, we see ourselves as being centred on Christ as we seek His direction, sent by Christ on mission and transformed by Christ through discipleship.
We are affiliated with the Christian Community Churches of Victoria and Tasmania (CCCVAT: https://cccvat.com.au/ ) but are a self-governed Elder lead church.
Our doctrinal statement can be accessed via the following link: [https://cgcc.org.au/ about-us/doctrinal-statement ]
This is a part-time 3 day/week position that has primary responsibility for discipleship and mission amongst secondary school-aged youth at CGCC.
The candidate will provide leadership and work with the existing youth leadership team (under the supervision of the Lead Pastor) to help disciple the youth at CGCC and involve them in mission by:
• Providing leadership, oversight, mentoring and training for the youth leadership team;
• Overseeing the ministries and programs focussed on the youth at CGCC;
• Helping to encourage the integration of youth into small group bible study settings that deepen their understanding of God’s word;
• Developing with the Lead Pastor, youth leadership team and parents an overall discipleship plan for the youth;
• Participating in and overseeing any special events or programs that align with the overall strategy and focus of the youth ministry;
• Pursuing opportunities for engagement with local secondary schools and the local community; and
• Assisting with the overall leadership and direction of the youth ministry at CGCC.
There will be flexibility on how the 3 days/week are worked but on the expectation that it would include certain commitments that are central to the overall function of the youth ministry and participation in the Sunday morning gatherings (whether physical or online) in order to assist with the overall integration of the candidate into the CGCC community.
The candidate will be accountable to and will report regularly to the Lead Pastor and the Elders at CGCC.
It is a requirement of any youth pastor at CGCC that the candidate is:
• A committed follower of Jesus who embraces the Gospel in all aspects of their life;
• In alignment with the CGCC doctrinal statement;
• Passionate about God’s Word as the foundation of their ministry; and
• Committed to Christ, the discipleship of others and a call to mission.
It is also desirable that the candidate:
• Communicates effectively with a team and connect with the youth at CGCC;
• Is equipped with teaching skills appropriate for ministering to youth;
• Displays a relational style that attracts, engages and motivates others;
• Is familiar with child safety requirements and obligations applicable to ministry at
• Can recruit, equip and manage volunteers and ministry teams in a multi-generational context.
Experience / Qualifications
The candidate would ideally have a strong background in youth work in similar settings and a demonstrated ability to provide ministry support to youth and youth leadership teams.
It will also be viewed favourably if the candidate has a theological degree or is actively engaged in obtaining theological qualifications. The candidate needs to be an Australian resident with the right to work in Australia.
Remuneration will be negotiated based on qualifications and experience but will be
based on a percentage of the stipend published by the Baptist Union of Victoria.
It is intended that the successful candidate commences in January 2021 or as otherwise negotiated with the church leadership.
We anticipate that the successful candidate will commit to a minimum of 3 years in the role.
How to apply
The candidate should submit a resume and cover letter which addresses the attributes, experience and qualifications described above. It should also briefly outline each of the
• Personal background and testimony;
• Church life and ministry experience;
• Education and training;
• Personal attributes and qualifications;
• Leadership roles and experience in youth-related ministries; and
• Future ministry goals.
Applications close on 13 November 2020
Applications close on 13 November 2020. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org